Friday, November 12, 2010

Caribbean Night

Yet another fun night in revolving around drinks at food at the Pulborough house. It was Siobhans birthday but instead of heading out and getting on the piss we had a Caribbean night at home. Fran had picked up a cookbook featuring Caribbean food as a bargain along the lines and after much perusing Siobhan picked a few dishes to try out.

Due to a tube strike Siobhan got to work from home so her and Fran spent a good few hours preparing the food before the rest of us got home. We were treated to a feast of spicy chicken wings, coconut and bean rice, pumpkin squash and eggplant mixed with tomato paste and garlic and chunky coleslaw. They also made a creamy fish pie with a sweet potato crust which ended up being one of my favourites even though I usually dont like seafood dishes. To go with this amazing meal we had a pomegranate punch and a few glasses of red wine. It was such a good meal it was hard to resist going back for seconds and thirds but we had so much left over most of us got some for lunch. The photos below don't really do it justice but you can see how much yummy food we had to chose from!




The only downside of this meal was the washing up which ended up taking up the whole kitchen as nearly every pot and pan had been used. We even took turns washing up in shifts. Still it was worth it for an amazing meal. I am lucky to live with such good cooks - I often get to try out some dishes or am lucky enough to get a serve of whatever is going. My contributions so far have been meals that I have wanted to cook from home but are too big to cook for one person like quiches or meatballs. I've also cracked out a lemon slice for home which has been eaten for dessert but I still can't compare to most of the meals I get in return. The benefit of living with such good cooks is that they are happy to help me with cooking questions and I can learn a bit here and there. I will never be as good a cook as my mum but hopefully I am getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment