Friday, November 12, 2010

Work Girls

When I lived in Brisbane I had such a great group of work friends that they ended up being some of my best mates. It was the only downside of leaving my job at home was leaving such good friends. When I got my job at the NMC I was pretty lonely for a while as I was the only one working on my task and wasn't really included in a team. Everyone was friendly enough but I didn't really have any work friends. As we worked in a hot desking office (where you just choose your desk when you arrive at work and log on to the computer and the phones) there was never really anyone next to me except for senior management (boring!).

One day someone sat in Claire spot and the only seat left was next to me. Once she sat there once and we got chatting we ended up getting along so well she never moved again. Since Claire sat there it became easier to have a conversation with the girl on the other side of her Caitriona and we often got chatting through the day. After a few run ins in the lunch room we got chatting to Laura who was a Kiwi hired through the same temp agency as me. The four of us had a couple of Friday nights out on the piss and have now become a bit of a little group and good friends. Which makes work a lot more bearable and less lonely.

A few weekends ago we broke away from tradition and instead of going out to a bar to get pissed - Laura and I went to Caitrionas house for dinner and drinks. It was Guy Forkes night and we had planned to have a quick bite to eat before heading down to a big common to watch the fireworks go off. Due to the dodgy weather (rain! what a surprise in England) we opted instead to just stay in at Caitrionas and have a few drinks there. It was such a good night in with a feast of Chorizo pasta and a few bottles of wine. The only downside was that Caitriona lives a little further away then my usual haunts and it was a bit of a mish to get home when you've had a few. A night bus and the last tube home left me slightly seedy the next morning when I woke up bright and early to go to work at the cafe.

It was such a good night - hopefully sometime soon I can get the girls out here and cook them a meal although lets be honest I need to up my game cooking wise if I am to top the meal we had at Caitrionas. While I love my topdeck crew and enjoy spending time with my housemates its always good to have another group of friends in London. Especially as I get to see two of these girls five days a week they make work a lot more fun which is something my work girls at home did.

No comments:

Post a Comment