Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mexican Madness

Last week I was lucky enough to have a visitor from home - my big sis Ali. She had planned a holiday to Thailand with a couple of mates and figured since she was halfway around the world she might as well keep coming and visit me. The only downside was the visit was only for five days. Which meant we had a lot to pack in!!!

Wednesday
Ali flew in bright and early in the morning so we had a few hours to catch up over tea before I had to run off for a half day at work. That night after a quick introduction to my house mates I introduced her to someone else really important in my life - my local pub. We had a yummy dinner down at the Park Tavern and a few drinks and after a couple of hours we were all caught up and it was like we hadn't been apart for eight months.

Thursday
I had to head off to work for the day so Ali spent the day shopping before meeting me and my cousin Robyn after work for a yummy pub meal and a night at the theatre. We had scored pretty cheap tickets to see Wicked! which I had been wanting to see for aaaaaaaaages so I was really looking forward to it. I always love going to the theatre and with 20 quid tickets its almost the same price as going to the movies. I didn't really know much about the story line except that it was about the witches of oz. It was a little different then what I expected but it was still really good. Not my favourite but still a great night out and worth watching!






Friday
With an early start we were off on a bus to Oxford to check out another part of the UK and catch up for lunch with some family friends. Apparently I had been there when I was younger on a previous visit to the UK but because I had no recollection of the place it was good to see it. Winter probably isn't the best time to see it as it was pretty quiet. I'd love to go back in spring or summer when its a bit sunnier and sit in the gardens and watch all the students ride around on their bikes. The buildings were so old and pretty. We had a brekky in a cute little cafe before heading off for a wander around the city. We got to see the Bodleian Library (the great hall in Harry Potter! whoop!) plus a few other cool places before heading into the city centre for lunch. We had great time catching up over lunch and a pint at the pub before we had to head back into the city.








Once we got back into the city we met my flatties for dinner at our favourite greek restaurant out on the Clapham High Street. The restaurant is the kind of hole in the wall place that if it wasn't recommended to you then you would totally miss it. Its run by a greek family and its absolutely amazing. Its 9.50 pounds and there is no menu. This little old greek man just brings you out food and its all amazingly yummy. There is about 7 courses started with breads and dip and finishing with greek yohgurt with a whole lot of meat and salad in the middle. He just keeps topping up the wine and the food just keeps coming so it was a pretty big night. Its one of my favourite places in London and it was good to show it to my sis.







Saturday
Since Ali was only in town for a few days I thought it would be easier for her to meet everyone if we threw a party. We also have new housemates so it was a pretty good reason to party. We made it a mexican theme to liven up the party so most of Saturday was spent getting supplies, making decorations and making costumes. Once we were ready with our poncho's and sombreros we started drinking Mojitos at around 4pm. The party didn't start til 8 so needless to say I was a bit pissy before everyone else arrived.






Once people started piling in it was quite obvious that having a party with a bunch of sombrero's wasn't the smartest of moves in a tiny house. Especially when my mates made such a massive effort with costumes - one coming as a taco, one as a cactus and others coming as a pinata!







The night was out.of.control. Seriously. Don't mean to brag but it was an epic party!! Everyone was pissed after lots of tequila shots, mojitos and beer and lots of shennanigans enshewed. One example was my amazing housemate who locked the bathroom door, then climbed out the second story bathroom window and spiderman climbed down and left everyone outside the bathroom waiting for 45 minutes. Everyone was a bit cranky but I thought it was HILARIOUS! The rest of the party was a bit of a blur but all I remember was having an awesome time. The next day I woke up to a whole lot of mexi-carnage. Smashed beer bottles in our living room, lemons and limes all over the floor, 10 rubbish bags filled with empties and even writing on the wall.







Not sure if it was really the best way for everyone to meet my sis as we were all pretty pissed and probably didn't make much sense but it was a fun night anyways!

Sunday
Well...needless to say I was slightly hungover the next day and several hours was spent cleaning. After a big clean up effort and cooked breakfast we went to the pub. Yup! pretty proud of myself actually. It wasn't' really a massive drinking session it was more just to get out of my house that smelt like a brewery. The rest of the day was spent feeling sorry for myself and doing the seemingly endless amount of washing. Sorry Ali! for such a boring day but that is how most Sundays are spent in London.


Monday
Today was me and Ali's last day together :( so I was pretty bummed before it even started. As she didn't fly out until quite late we had a whole day to chill out together before she jetted off. We took the train out to Richmond and had a walk along the river before having a long leisurely pub lunch with a few drinks and lots of chatting.







Before too long it was time to head home and Ali had to get ready to leave. It was pretty sad saying goodbye at the tube station and there were a few tears but this time I know that I will be seeing her soon so it was easier then last time. It was so good to have a visitor from home and being able to show her my life over here.

I'm pretty lucky this year as Ali was the start of many many visitors to come and I am so looking forward to seeing everyone and showing them everything over here that makes me love this city so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment