Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Jack The Ripper

I have been wanting to do the Jack The Ripper walking tour for a long time now as I had heard through friends how good it was. I wanted to see another side to the city in an area I don't really get to explore much. So when I saw a Living Social voucher for a £5 ticket to Golden Tours I snapped at the chance and dragged Shea (who if you haven't noticed is pretty much my Partner In Crime for all things) along for the ride.

We met our guide at Tower Hill Station which is only a short walk from where the first murder took place. As we wandered down there we were given more information about the history of London back when Jack The Ripper was in his element. For those of you who don't know the story - Jack The Ripper was a mass murder who murdered five women who were prostitutes in the streets of East London by slitting their throats and disemboweling their organs.

We wandered for about an hour learning seeing each spot where each women was killed as we learnt the history, timeline and quite graphic details of each murder. It was interesting to hear about a different London to what I have seen especially as we tred some of the streets that are still the same. Many of the murder spots were quite changed for example the spot of the final murder is now a multi story car park. Sadly I forgot my camera so I have no photos to show you (though I'm sure you can imagine what a multi story car park looks like.

Our guide was pretty informative and our group was made up of people of all ages and from all parts of the world. It was an interesting thing to do after work one night but not something that I would rave about. I'm not sure if I had been expecting something extraordinary because of all the good reviews I had heard but I was slightly disappointed. I had been expecting a bit of a scary and spooky night out - not a casual stroll through the streets. Even so I would say give it a go - it is a really interesting part of London's history and a good cheap night out - especially as the tour ends in Brick Lane so you can grab a curry!

No comments:

Post a Comment