Sunday, January 29, 2012

We are one but we are many

There are two days of the year when I get particularly homesick and that is Australia Day and ANZAC day. To combat this I thought I would do what many many Aussies in london do on Australia day and that is head to an Aussie themed pub - the walkabout.



Walkabouts are usually renowned for being pretty dirty bogan bars but on a night like Australia Day that is exactly what you need. While I expected there to be a lot of people there I was still surprised at the fire hazard that the heaving mass of people in the walkabout were. However that didn't deter me from loading my arms with snakebites and forcing my way onto the dance floor to listen to all my face Aussie songs.



Like many others my friends and I were dressed for the occasion in green and gold buy there was one thing missing - stick on tattoos. I had the for sight to buy some while I was at home in OZ so I was ready and armed. All we needed was some water to put them on but since it was such a mission to get to the bathroom we just improvised and used our drinks. It made our faces sticky and our drinks taste remarkably like plastic buy it was all worth it to fly our flag proudly.





The walkabout was getting messier and messier and the line to get in was longer and longer so we decided to head out and up the road to Belushis to meet my flatties. Thankfully it wasn't busy but still had a lot of atmosphere right down to cheap snakebites and £1 Vegemite shots. What's a Vegemite shot? I'm not 100% but I'd probably say a shot of vodka with some Vegemite diluted inside. And it is as every bit as gross as it sounds.



From there the night got distinctly messy but heaps of fun. They were playing great music and I was with great mates so was a pretty perfect way to celebrate our nations day - even if it was about 3 degrees outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment