Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year

I always love getting visitors from back home but I especially love getting to show them around when something cool is happening in London. A friend of mine from home Callum and a few of his friends were over doing a big European tour while I was at home doing my Aussie summer. A few days after I got back they arrived back in London conveniently on the first day of Chinese New Year celebrations.

We decided to check out the shenanigans by having dinner at a Dim Sim restaurant which was recommended by a friend. Since the parade was actually on the weekend and I wasn't going to be here for it I was a bit gutted we were missing out. I was happy to see that the party was starting with people handing out whistles and masks as we wandered the streets.



Luckily for us we had booked a table and managed to get into a large round table with a lazy susan in the middle. We soon got down to ordering dumplings and our meals while chatting over tiger beer. The food was delicious and as we sat and ate we saw the line start to head out the door and around the corner.

After we were stuffed full of food it was time to check out Soho and we wandered through chinatown to a bar offering half price cocktails. A couple of mojito's later and it was time to say goodbye. Once again the bad thing about visitors is when you have to leave them to their travels/flight/next adventure. Still I know its not the last time I see Cal in London - hopefully I've convinced him to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment