Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Sun Is In The Sky - Why Would I Want To Be Anywhere Else?

Back in England again and first stop was London (or as Lily says LDN). Caroline and I spent her first couple of days in London seeing the sights. We did one of those hop on and hop off bus tours around the city. We did Harrods and drooled over all the divine stuff inside there before seeing all the big sights like Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey before hopping off at the London Eye and catching a boat down the Thames river to the Tower of London. Once we got all that touristy stuff out of the way we had a day of shopping along Oxford St. This is always dangerous with shops like H&M and Primark but I was pretty well behaved mainly because I'm running out of space in my backpack!

Photobucket

While we were in London we got to celebrate Carolines birthday and I don't think we could have had a better day if we tried. The sun was shining and we manged to fluke some really good spots for the changing of the guards. I've been to London five times but this was the first time I had seen the changing of the guards and it's pretty fun to watch. We also got to see some horse drawn carriges with men in tails and top hats. I have no idea why they were there but it was so totally English it didn't matter. During the changing of the guards the band played 'Sweet Caroline' which of course was pretty cool for Caroline for her birthday. The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering along Portobello Road and browsing at all the vintage market stalls and cute little shops. We ate the most delicious Thai meal before walking through to Notting Hill and dreaming about living in that area *sigh*.

As a special treat for her birthday we went and saw a musical - Legally Blonde. I wasn't sure what to expect because I didn't know about the tv show recruiting for the lead singer so as far as I knew it was just a musical version of the movie. It was soooooo much different than what I expected. It was fairly true to the movie but it was really clever how they added music into it (seriously youtube - 'Ohmygod you guys'). The songs were so funny and catchy and really well suited to the story. I would totally recommended it to anyone who is a fan of the movies and those who are up for a bit of fun. They even had real dogs in it! They were so cute! The best part was that we were originally sitting in the grand circle (which was all the way at the back) and we got upgraded to the third row! So all in all Caroline had a very lucky and very fun birthday. In fact I almost felt like it was my birthday again having here there and doing all this fun stuff.

Photobucket

The next day we were catching the bus to Bristol before spending time back in Hawkesbury so we thought we would have a quick walk around Camden town. We had a pretty late start to the day but we figured it would only take about an hour to get from our hostel to the coach station. So we casually strolled round then headed to the pub for a quick meal. Once we were there we realized we actually only had an hour and a half to finish our meals, get the tube back to our hostel which is a ten minute walk from Kings Cross, pick up our luggage, walk back to Kings Cross then get the tube from there to Victoria, then do a ten minute walk from there to the coach station. Sounds hectic right? Add in the fact that they were doing service works on the northern line so we had to change trains and the fact that it was pissing down with rain. We were rushing like crazy. We were still on the tube two stations away from Victoria at the time we were supposed to be there. Caroline is sitting there laughing at the state of us as we both drenched, out of breath and pretty much looking like wild gypsies with all our luggage. I'm standing there thinking of alternate plans to Bristol that would not make us really late or were really expensive (it was a bank holiday weekend so most things were booked). We get off at the tube station and I was off - pretty much running (well as close to running you can do with a 25 kilo back pack, day pack stuffed full of breakable pressies and a handbag) determined that we could get there. By this stage it was 2.30pm the time it was due to leave and we were only just leaving the tube station. We get to the coach station after jay walking through London traffic and pretty much shoving people out of the way and the bus was still there! Only problem was we were at gate 10 and it was at gate 20 so another frantic dash through the terminal and we get to the bus. Phew! I've never been so relieved in my life!

It was a short trip down to Bristol for me because as soon as we were on the road I completely zonked out exhausted from our crazy little dash across London. I was so excited to get there though because I love staying in Hawkesbury Upton with my friends. it's like my new home away from home. I couldn't wait to see them again and give them all their pressies and tell them all my topdeck stories. Thing was that I planned on rocking up looking happy and tanned and pretty and relaxed and it turns out I rocked up looking like the crazy cat lady. I was also excited cuz they had organized a night out clubbing in Bristol which was something I had never done with them so it was bound to be a fun experience. Once we got there we had to have a quick rush to get ready before heading out for a yummy dinner of Chinese before heading home to get ready. I must say it was soooooooo nice to have a nice long warm shower before getting ready in front of a full length mirror with other girls while having a few drinks. It was almost like being at home getting ready with my girls before a big night out.

After getting dropped into town us girls had to wait for a bit before the boys got in so we headed to a bar for some drinks and a bit of a dance. We got to the bar and ordered a vodka lime soda for me and the bar tender just gave Sara a weird look. She just pointed to me and said "she's Australian!" and he bartender was like " That explains it then!". It was so weird it's not like I ordered something wild and crazy but the funniest thing was when he made it for me he just poured it out of the tap. They have lime cordial on tap in England. Now it was my turn to give them a weird look cuz to me that's just plain strange! Anyways after that we met up with the boys at another bar before realizing that we had 25 minutes to get into the club we had pre booked for so we skulled ( or to use the English terminology we "downed") our drinks before starting a speed walk thru Bristol city. I had no idea where we were going so me and Caroline are just following them all. Poor Caroline was in heels on uneven pavement in the dark and I'm just clumsy at the best of times so I'm suprised there were no major stacks or sprained ankles. Somehow me managed to make it there before twelve but I have to tell you after me and Carolines epic rush across London we were sick and tired of racing to get places.

We solved that problem with a glass of champagne followed by lots more drinks and lots more dancing. I had a great night. The club was pretty quiet but it was so huge that maybe that is just how it always is and we aren't used to having that much space. Sara had organized drinks vouchers so the drinks were cheap and the music was good so as many of you know that's all I need to have a good night. We headed home in the early a.m and kicked on in the conservatory until around 4.

Photobucket

The next day we had the nicest sleep in ever. I hadn't been asleep past 7 everyday for a month so it was nice to wake up to a knock on the door around 10ish telling me a cooked breakfast was on the table ready. I told you I got spoilt when I went to visit Hawkesbury. We had a really nice lazy day chilling in the conservatory when everyone came round to watch the football and cricket. It was even sunny enough to sit outside in the backyard and listen to Caro's iPod and gossip about the events of the night before. We got even more spolit that night with a roast dinner before spending the rest of the night drinking and hanging out. It was a bank holiday weekend so on the Monday everyone had the day off so we headed to the Costswolds. It was a cute little area with a stream running through it and cute little old houses, little gift stores and lots of traditional old English pubs. We had a yummy pub meal before a quick look at shops. We didn't stay too long because nearly every man and his dog - literally, I saw about 5 sausage dogs - were out and about. It was nice to see a differet part of the countryside and spend a day outside the village.

The next day we had another nice sleep in followed by a lunch out with the kids. It seems that all I do in the village is eat, drink, sleep and relax but I have to say I quite like it that way. Topdeck was heaps of fun but it sure was hectic. You were either on the move sightsseeing, shopping, chatting to people, drinking, trying to sort out your backpack or on the bus where you either coma-ed out or somehow tried to write in your travel journal or read a book. There was never just time to sit down and watch a bit of telly or have a bit of a sleep in. I wouldn't change that at all though because that is what tour is all about but it was so nice to do all these relaxing things for a few days. That night we went for a wander around the village to show Caroline around and then headed down to the local pub the Beaufort Arms - I think that's what it's real name is, everyone just calls it "the Beau". We had a few drinks and watched the lads play skittles.

Skittles is pretty similar to ten pin bowling except there are nine pins and you get three bowls. It also takes ages to play which means you get through quite a few drinks. After we watches the boys comeback from losing to win we played a game of killer. This is where you all put in £2 and try to be the last one standing. When it's your turn you have to try and hit at least one pin and you get three misses. I am pretty much the most uncoordinated person alive so its not surprising I didn't win but I am proud to say I actually knocked down at least one pin! Woot! In the end it was a battle between a little old lady and a one of the hawkesbury boys. It was intense for awhile as both were good contenders but in the end the little old lady lost and I was suprised to find myself cheering as usually ten pin bowls bores the hell out of me (it might have had something to do with the few drinks I consumed while spectating)

Waking up to a phone call from my mummy was a pretty good start to the day. After another lazy morning spent chatting to home and planning the rest of our trip accommodation and flights we had another pub lunch before a lazy arvo watching a movie. On our last night we just had a nice dinner at an italian resturant followed by a few drinks in the conservatory. Perfect way to end a lazy few days in the village.

The next morning we were off to Paris which means leaving the village which now felt like home. It was a bit of a scramble to pack as I had somehow managed to let my stuff spread all over the guest room (which was kinda fun after having to leave my bag more or less packed for a month). After a final lunch out in the sunshine we were off to the airport to get on our flight to Paris!

Now Paris is a different story altogether and I am very behind on my blogging but its so hard to do a summary because it just misses out so much stuff. I am super clever though and worked out that I can do a post via email which means when we get free wifi I plan on stealing Carolines Ipod and updating you all. So hopefully sometime soon I can catch you all up on what I've been doing in Paris and Amsterdam.

1 comment:

soph // and other things said...

Did you know they're making a Bridget Jones's musical? And that Lily Allen might be writing the score for it? *head explosion* Can't wait to see your Paris post! Hopefully, for your sake, it involves a lot less rushing about haha.

Post a Comment