Sunday, January 22, 2012

To Market To Market

It was time to get stuck back into my Top 100 and one I had been wanting to try out for ages was the Colombia Road Market. Open on Sundays only this tiny market is famous for its fresh flowers.

Shea and I got up bright and early on a Sunday and made our way to East London past the Tower Hamlets and soon found Colombia Road by all the people walking in the opposite direction with gorgeous bunches of fresh flowers.

We wandered along the markets stopping every now and then to check out the flowers. They all looked so beautiful and fresh and the smell was amazing. I could have gone crazy with all the tulips, daisys, gerberas and roses on offer but had to settle for one little bunch of Tulips. One thing about England is that fresh flowers are always so cheap - it must be the weather but over here its sooooo much cheaper then Oz. Even so the markets are the cheapest. You can get three bunches for £10 which a bargain!




After checking out the market stalls we wandered around the corner and got a coffee and snack from the Lily Vanili bakery. This place is also only open on Sundays but I think that is what makes it so special. The line was curving around on itself and out the door but for good reason. The food was fresh and the coffee was one of the only decent lattes I've ever had in London. If you ever get a chance I recommend going there.

On our way back through the markets and we popped into all the little boutique stores that line the market. I could have gone crazy in all the stores with their bits and bobs but I don't really need new wall paper, retro lollies or expensive artwork. Maybe one day when I have that ideal London flat.

We had made a lunch with with some friends so we wandered along to Old Street where we tried to find a good place for lunch. We stumbled across a place called The Book Club. It is now my new favorite place. Gorgeous space with fairly lights, exposed brick and mish mash of chairs with amazing food and a huuuuge drinks menu. They also offer ping pong tournaments and life drawling classes on weeknights and turns into a decent bar during the weekends. I think it pretty much does anything except become a book club? I'm not sure.

It was a great Sunday exploring lots of different things. As a south west Londoner the trip out east is often a long and painful one but one days like the one I had its worth it!

1 comment:

TAM + SAM said...

Love Columbia road flower market!

Post a Comment