Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree Oh Christmas Tree!

We got our Christmas tree!

After much nagging on my behalf I convinced Sam to help me get one after I had finished work on Saturday arvo. I didn't actually realise it would be such a mission! Usually at the home the hard work - getting the box down from the roof - is done by my dad.

I got home from work and found out that Sam had spent a little time that afternoon trying to find our Christmas decorations from last year in our 'Harry Potter cupboard'. Our cupboard under the stairs is the kind of cupboard where you can't open the door without fear of everything falling on top of you. Sam had wrestled through all the crap and couldn't find the decorations so put it ALLLLLLLL back in so its only up to our knees now (which is a bonus). We then found the decorations sitting on our living room bookshelf. Hahha whoopsy... poor Sam. We then had to rearrange the furniture so we could fit it in our lounge room. So once that was done we were ready to go!

We decided to head up to our local fruit and vege man and get one from there. Once we were up there we didn't really know what to look for - I mean i've never bought a real life Christmas tree before and neither had Sam. Do you look for the bushiest? or the greenist? or the tallest for the price range? gahhhh... Sam actually poked one and ended up making three fall over. hahaha we just sort of walked away and pretended it wasn't us. We ended up choosing one at random and and grabbed it off the guy.

After stopping at the offie to pick up some wine for the tree decorating and festivities at home (Lance's birthday) we wandered down the road with a couple of bottles of wine and a tied up tree. Luckily it was only a short walk and we were home in no time. We popped it in the living room and undid all the ties and voila! Sam popped on some Christmas carols and we spent a little while putting decorations on and singing along. Sam found a branch that had fallen off so we popped a little decorations on them and taped them to the door - impromptu wreath!

My mummy had sent me through some home made Christmas decorations so I popped them up on our mantel piece. Sam had been sent some Christmas decorations last year so she popped them on the tree including a NZ angel and a jandal (which is a kiwi word for thongs by the way). It felt a bit weird putting up a tree and not putting on the usual decorations - you know the ones you made when you were primary school and the ones you have been given over the years. Then again it was kind of nice to have a new experience and get new decorations. I had already bought myself one from Harrods and if I am here next Christmas I might try and make it a tradition.



No comments:

Post a Comment