Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Angus & Julia Stone

Oh how I love them and their music.

They played last Thursday night in London and I was really excited about going. Once I found out that they were playing I convinced Claire to come with me even though she had no idea who they were.

The gig was pretty different to the last one I went to of theirs. Last time it was in Brisbane at a place called The Tivoli which is a venue often used for smaller gigs. Its standing room only but quite intimate and unless some really tall annoying person stands in front of you (which almost always happens to me) then you can pretty much always see the stage. This time it was at Festival Hall at Southbank (next to the London Eye) and it was in a theater kind of setting with allocated seats and balconies etc etc. You could still see the stage but it wasn't the kind of intimate setting as last time so you kind of lost some of the experience.

As usual I was blown away by their talent. Angus Stone is a complete babe and I often talk of my absolute crush on him but just like last time after seeing Julia perform and listening to her live I walk out of there with a 'girl-crush' on her. She played five instruments - Mandolin, Guitar, Piano, Harmonica and Trumpet and sang songs with purely her voice. She did a cover of Grease's 'Your the one that I want' and 'Somewhere over the rainbow'. Last time I saw them they did a cover of 'Tubthumping' so I was expecting something amazing and wasn't disappointed.

They played mostly stuff from their new album 'Down the way' but I was pretty happy to hear a few favorites from their old album and grabbed Claire's arm excitedly when when they played 'Just a Boy'. Claire must have thought I was crazy but I love that song so much!! I wish they could have played every song but alas the concert was over before too long. It was go good to see some Aussie musicians in London and share the experience with a new friend. Hopefully this isn't the last of Aussie bands I see while I am over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment