Friday, April 16, 2010

First Stop - Ireland!

When you think of Europe you dont automatically think of Ireland (or at least I didn't) however as the first stop in my Europe tour I would have to say that it gives a great first impression. I loved each and every minute of the week I spent there and I almost feel guilty for not looking forward to it as much as the rest.
I stayed in a villge one hour south of Cork called Clonakilty. The reason that I travelled to this village (and the reason for the whole trip) was for my cousins wedding. My cousin is Australian but she is now married to an Irishman who used to spend his summer holidays surfing at a beach near the village. They decided to have a traditional Irish wedding and Im pretty happy they did because it meant it gave me a reason (well... an even bigger one) to come to Europe.

The first few days in Ireland were spent driving around the countryside seeing the sights. On the day we arrived it was 2 degrees, rainy and windy and all together miserable. Luckily for us the sun came out for the rest of our stay so as we drove around we got to see the best parts of Ireland with beautiful blue skies and sunny sunshine. There is a reason that when you think of Ireland you think of something green, the landscape is so full of trees and flowers (Daffodils grow wild on the side of the road!) as well as that kind of green grass you just want to lay down and cloud watch in.

Anyways enough about the weather and the landscape (what am I a grandma?) more about the sightseeing (and drinking). We visited Bantry house which was a huge old estate home that you can just picture Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet having a turn about the room in. We also had a day trip out to Blarney Castle which is where the Blarney Stone is located. It is said that those who kiss the Blarney Stone are blessed with the gift of eloquence. Which works out well for me because I want a job in communication and public relations and works out well for you readers because hopefully my vocabularly will double. To kiss the Blarney Stone you have to walk up to the top turrets of the castle, lie down with your head backwards, have an old man hold ur legs while you hold onto a railing and lower yourself down and kiss a bit of mankey old rock that thousands before you have kissed. Not the most hygenic or fun experience i've had but at least now I can say I have done it!

When we werent sight seeing we were often at our rented house in Clonakilty where the rest of our extended family were staying. We passed the time by having several games of cards and lots of drinks. One night all the Aussies (the 65 who flew over for the wedding) went out to dinner and had way to much to eat and even more to drink. A few of the family and friends stayed on once all the oldies went to bed and we all caught up and had a few drinks with the grooms family. It was a good way to get into the party mode and the first of many celebrations over the next couple of days.
The next day was spent as a hens party in a day spa. I was treated to an hour in a special pool that had different spas for different parts of your body and then to a seaweed wrap. As lovely as it made my skin feel afterwards there is something about laying (almost) naked while a strange girl wipes seaweed on you then wraps you up in plastic. Its just one of those things that I can now tick of my list, next time ill go for the facial. Got to spend the rest of the day having high tea in the lounge of a four star hotel and a walk along the beach.
The highlight of the week was of course the wedding. Now I'm no expert because I've never really been to a wedding before but I guess you haven't experienced a wedding until you have been to an hour and a half of full catholic nuptual mass in a church conducted by the grooms uncle (who is Irish and therefore a little hard to understand) followed by a 14 hour party. Yes no exaggeration there, the party actually went for 14 hours. Drinks at the venue started at 3pm, the reception offically began at 5.30pm. We had dinner, drinks and speeches then out came the band and we all hit the dancefloor - even the oldies! After the band there was a DJ and at about 2.30 he wound down and suggested we all moved into the reception lounge. At this time after drinking for 12 hours, dancing for 6, having a wardrobe malfunction (the zip on my dress broke and I got driven home by an old irish couple to change into a casual summer dress - it was a formal wedding - oh well!) we decided to head home but on last reports the straggelers were kicked out of the venue at around 5.30 after a session of more drinking while listening to an irish band. If that isn't a party I dont know what is.
I also should say that the service was beautiful and my cousin made an amazing bride. At the end of the ceremony they played 'Waltzing Matilda' on the harp and the reception venue even raised the Australian flag! The meals were delicious - especially the three different types of potato they served. (Most people know all the cliches about the Irish and they are exactly right about all the potato.) Most resturants served more potato then the rest of the meal and sometimes two different types! Anyways back to the wedding - All the Irish people I chatted to and met were so friendly and funny! It was such a great night and although my memories are a little blurred I will definately remember the night forever!

I know this post is pretty long and I hope I haven't lost you all on the way but we managed to fit so much stuff into one week its hard not go on. The day after the wedding we drove to a little town called Ballyduff which doesn't have a ATM but has four pubs! We went there to visit a friend of my fathers that he worked with about 37 years ago and who he hasn't seen in about 27 years. Alan was kind enough to put us up in a B&B which had a hot tub where we lazed around in the afternoon. He then took us on a bit of drive around the area followed by a pint at his local pub. This is where I tried my first (and most likely last) Guiness. One word. YUCK. After a couple of drinks we had dinner in his resturant and met some of his old friends. It was good to see my had to happy to see an old friend and it was nice to see a different part of Ireland.

That pretty much sums up my time in Ireland (I think) and I hope i've painted a good enough picture that you might want to visit there one day. Irish hospitality is some of the best I have experienced and I definately would love to go back. For now I'm in England visiting friends and family so I will hopefully update you on that soon. Most likely with more tales of drinking and eating and sightseeing- but really thats the best part of the holiday!

1 comment:

soph // and other things said...

Ohh yay! It's nice to be able to read the story behind all the pictures Bron. You and Ali both looked gorgeous at the wedding (which sounded like the most epic wedding ever!) Can't wait to hear more stories! Take care! Have fun! Miss you heaps! Exclamation marks!

xx

Post a Comment