Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Worms

As a person who spends most of her spare time (when I'm not blogging of course) with her nose in a book its actually surprising it took me this long to do it - but I have finally joined a book club!

I have been wanting to be a member of one for years but I never seemed to have the time or knowledge of any around me. When my friend Dannie asked me to join her's I was so stoked! Especially because it is a great way to get to read some good books, meet some new friends and since they are held at restaurants a great way to sample more of the London dinner scene.

The basic format is we meet once a month over dinner and discuss the book that was chosen by one of the members. Our first book was 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' by Maggie O'Farrell and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I will try and pick up some of her other books next time I am at the library. It was a really good book club book as it left lots of things to discuss.

When I joined a was a bit worried we would spend the night discussing themes and discourses and while I wouldn't mind the occasional reference to a metaphor or simile I just didn't want the club to be toooo intellectual. I know that sounds kind of silly but I was worried I would have to be underlining sentences as I read. Thankfully the discussion steered clear of too much talk of discourse and listening to other peoples view of the book was really interesting.

The group is made up of 6 women who have all sort of come together through work mates or friends from home. Everyone was really welcoming and lovely and after discussing the book the conversation soon turned into other things. The restaurant was a good choice too as we had gone to a Spanish and Moroccan themed place. Overall I was really stoked with my first book club night! The next book is an autobiography written by a survivor of Auschwitz which will be interesting! Will let you know how I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment