Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bionic Woman

After six months of hobbling around it was finally time to get my knee fixed. Since hurting it on my Croatian adventure in September last year I had had a few months of tests and waiting lists before I could get surgery. I had managed to tear two cartilages meaning I needed keyhole day surgery. I had to get one of them fixed and the other removed, so added to my screws from previous knee surgery I was going to be a new bionic woman.

I was a little apprehensive about having surgery being so far away from my family and boyfriend but thankfully I had a great support group with my friends in London and was well looked after. Shea was my nurse who picked me up, made me endless cups of tea and cheered me up when I was feeling a little down. All my other friends popped round at different stages bringing me flowers and magazines and I couldn't tell you the amount of movies and tv that was watched during my first few days after surgery.

When having my consultation I was told I would be on crutches for two weeks meaning I had to work from home for this time. I was surprised to be up and walking on my knee within two days and while it was a bit achy and sore the pain wasn't too bad. Since I was so mobile I decided to head down to family friends house in Hawkesbury and recover and recuperate down there while catching up with friends I hadn't seen in ages.

It was so nice to be out of London and have a change of scenery after being stuck on the ground floor of my flat for four days. The best part was having company throughout the day as everyone was back at work and there is only so much TV you can watch. It was also good to start using my brain again and work from home while I was just sitting around.

Since my knee was recovering so well I was only out of action for a week which was welcome news. It felt good to get out and about and get my London speed walk going again. It makes such a difference while commuting around London not having to worry about every step. Even better still it leaves me much more energy and freedom for some more adventures! So prepared to be bombarded with what I have been up to since recovering from surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment