Sunday, November 27, 2011

Chelsea Physic Garden

Late November not only brings shorter days and colder weather but the beginning of the festive season - and thus a tirade of Christmas posts from me leading up to the big day! One of my first festive adventures was to the Christmas Fair at the Chelsea Physic Garden

We arrived a bit before 12 after stopped to grab a coffee and a quick wander down Kings Road and paid our £8 to get in. I wasn't really sure what to expect as I hadn't done my research when looking in my guide book but when I got there I was surprised to find the Physic part of the name was actually about Physicians. Ok I know it sounds simple when you put it like that but it took me a little while to realise the reason for the gardens was to grow plants for medicinal purposes.





As we arrived just before a tour we decided to join one and learn a bit about the gardens. Our tour guide was a quite eccentric and enthusiastic older lady with the craziest posh accent I've ever heard. Whether it was real or put on it made the Queen sound like a chav. We wandered through the gardens while she pointed out different types of plants and trees while giving us a brief history of the gardens. She was told to keep the tours down to 15 minutes so people could enjoy the markets but half an hour later she didn't look like stopping so we bailed from the tour and did our own wandering.





The gardens were really pretty and it was such a nice sunny day that I thought that it would be such a nice place to come and get some peace and quiet without the hustle and bustle of other central parks like Hyde Park. The only shame is that it costs money every time you get in otherwise its the perfect place to sit and relax.

After we wandered the gardens we checked out the Christmas Fair Markets and found lots of stalls selling lots of things that we didn't really need or want. It was nice to look around but we don't need cashmere baby suits or intricately sewn lace doilies so after about half an hour we were sick of the jostling of crowds (of old ladies) and headed out of the gardens.

Was a great way to spend a sunny Sunday but not something I would recommend unless you had a great passion for gardening. Still something new to do and a change to bumming at home watching movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment