Saturday, February 26, 2011

Monday Night Running Club

A couple of weeks ago I decided to take on a bit of a challenge and signed up for a 10K charity run- Race for Life to raise money for cancer. I have several friends who's have been affected by cancer either directly or through family members and if I can raise a bit of money and awareness while getting fitter and healthier then thats the least I can do.

For those of you know me you all know that I am not the fittest person alive and the thought of running for any distance is something I am not familiar with. I thought training for this run will be a good chance for me to get fitter, see more of London while I train in different areas and basically just have a bit of fun. Its not until the end of July so i have a good six months to train myself up, stay fit and work on my running time.

As my housemate Sam is also training for a charity run in May so we decided to do a bit of training together. The other girls in the flat Siobhan and Jules decided to come too so we scheduled in regular runs on a Monday night which is a good motivator and a good start to the week.

The first time we went we ran (with a few walking breaks) 3.5k and the second week we ran 3.8k. Which is a pretty good effort for the first couple of weeks. Sammy and I have also done a few other runs in the morning and i've hit the gym and did a 5k run there. So far the training is going pretty well but I will keep you updated as I go along and of course closer to the time there will be a shameless plug for donations! Also if I tell everyone about it there is no way I can back out!

No comments:

Post a Comment