Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bronwyn, Caroline, Barcelona

Now dont get excited, our time in Barcelona is nothing like that movie although we did have our fair share of drama.

We arrived in Barcelona on a stinking hot night and decided to head into the central city area to check out the place and grab a bite to eat. The streets were tiny and like little mazes and there were little bars poking out of them everywhere. It was getting to the point where there was so much to choose from we couldn´t decide so we just kept wandering. That was until we stumbled back onto the street were our hostel was and as it was now about 10.30 we just decided to eat right next door. That is the second time we have stumbled across the place we are staying by complete fluke. I kind of like that we have a weird sort of radar for our hostels. The meal was really cheap and yummy and I got my first offical Spanish sangria for only two euros!

The next day we decided to split up and while I did a bike tour around the city, Caroline headed to the zoo. The bike tour was really fun (they more or less always are) except it was definately the hardest one I had to do. While Barcelona isnt exactly hilly it isnt exactly flat either and we were riding around in 30 degree heat. We checked out all the big sights (mostly by Gaudi - the archeitect that the spanish adore) such as the Sagrada Familiar which is the basillica that has had construction work for decades and still has decades worth of work to finish. We saw his fountain in their main park, the ruins and the bull fighting rings. The highlight of the bike tour was that we rode down to the beach and spent 45 minutes on beach chairs sipping Sangria and eating Tapas. After about 750mls of Sangria it was an interesting bike ride back to the bike rental shop. Once we got back there one of the guys from the place lead us around the corner to a little bar that had free tapas and cheap drinks. We all gathered and had a beer together before heading home for a seista. I love this seista business because I am a big fan of the nanna nap and nearly everyone in our dorm was doing the same thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

That night we had planned to head to a Tapas, Sangria and Flemenco evening but Caroline wasnt feeling too well. We went along anyways but since she could not eat or drink anything she decided to head home while I stayed. The tapas were amazing we had an anti pasto plate with pruschetto, salami, olives, white asparagus, bruschetta and quiche followed by seafood paella. The next serving was potatas bravas which is roasted potatos with a spicy aoli sauce. Upon all that we then got deep fried calamari which was the best dish by far. The sangria was the best one I tried so far and it was unlimited and they just kept bringing out jugs of it. After a couple of hours eating and drinking they led us to the flemenco show which was at another bar around the corner. They had two guitarists, singer, piano player and two drummers as well as the dancer. The first couple of songs were just the band by themselves then the dancer came. I was expecting a female dancer with those crazy skirts but instead it was a guy. The rhythms he kept with his feet were incredible - it was almost like he was moving at hyperspeed. The show only lasted about half and hour which was a bit of a disappointment but as i only paid €24 for the whole bundle it was pretty good value for money.

Once I arrived back at the hostel i ran into Caroline with her overnight bag heading out the door. She was so sick and our rooms didnt have airconditioning or their own bathroom so she would be more comfortable at a hotel. It was a really good idea because it meant she had a bit of luxury to recover as we were supposed to leave for madrid in in two days time. Early the next morning I got a call from Caroline and had to take her stuff over to the hotel as she was so sick she needed a doctor. We spent the morning holed up in her hotel room while we tried to find an english speaking doctor nearby rather then rush her to a hospital. At about midday we headed to the closest one we could find and got Caroline checked out. The doctor was fairly positive it wasnt just a bug that would pass but something a bit more serious. We got a special diet and some drugs so Caroline could continue on when she felt better but she advised us that she needed to go to the hospital back home. She actually advised us not to go to the hospitals in Spain which is a bit weird and slightly worrying.

We then spent the rest of the arvo watching more tv in spanish before discovering the english speaking channel! Huzzah! Because she was so sick Caroline could barely move from the bed and we were both getting a bit of cabin fever. Since she was so sick it meant we both couldnt go to Madrid the following day as planned so I had to reorganise our hostels and travel plans while searching for somewhere to stay in Barcelona. The spanish started their holidays this week so nearly everywhere was booked out which caused a few dramas but overall it got sorted out. The best part about Spain is that so far every hostel and hotel has had free PCs and free internet access. It makes such a difference when you are stressed and freaking out not to have to worry about being logged off or paying heaps of euros just for a few minutes.

The next morning we were woken up by a phone call from Carolines mum checking on her. The previous nights sleep was the best I had in ages knowing that the sheets were really fresh and clean, not having a bunk bed that shakes with any movement, block out sheets, air conditioning and several comfy pillows to snuggle into. I know I shouldnt be benefiting from Caroline getting sick but you have to look at the positives sometimes and this was one of them! Caroline had been tossing up whether to go home or not and since we were planning on spending the next week at the running of the bulls she thought she did not want to risk it. What if she got another bug while her immune system was down? What if someone accidently hit her in her tummy and caused any damage? It wasnt worth the anxiety and since she still wasnt very well she decided to go home. I was really upset but i totally understood. That day I just spent with her bumming at the hotel. The best part was the free wifi which meant I had a couple of skype dates with friends and family where I could vent my stresses and cry it all out and had them help cheer me up and keep me positive. I think one of the things I miss most about being away is actually hearing peoples voices. It makes such a difference to be able to talk and laugh together like a normal convo and it is so easy on a ipod its like being on a phone. I would like to thank whoever invented skype because you are pretty much going to save my life over the next little while.

In the afternoon we got a phonecall from Carolines mum who had got her a flight out of Barcelona to London and arrange for her trip home. The worst part was that it was the next day at 12pm which meant we had less then 24 hours together before I was alone in Spain and she had to face getting on a plane while she was still sick. We had to head to the doctor to get a certificate to say she was fit to fly and tie up any loose ends while we were there. Once again the doctor was pretty helpful but then told Caroline she thought it was definately a good idea she was going home. It made us wonder a little while she hadnt said that the day before so we didnt spend the whole night worrying about what to do. That night we had our last dinner together at a little chinese resturant we found near the doctors. As Caroline could only eat rice it was the only thing we could have that she could eat and since it was her first meal in nearly four days and her first adventure out of a hotel room in three it was nice to have a bit of normalcy about our last night.

The next day we had a sleep in before heading to the airport. I know that my holiday is coming to an end soon anyway and the goodbye was only two weeks premature but I was so not ready to say goodbye. She had been my best friend and travel buddy for about six weeks and I had been with her nearly every second of it. The person I consider my other half was sick and embarking on a 30 hour trip home and there was nothing I could do about helping her anymore. I was a wreck. The tears started before we even left the hotel, during the cab ride and while she was in line to check in. She was so brave and I was a wreck! After a quick hug she was off and it was nice and quick like a bandaid because both of us couldnt have handled a drawn out goodbye. I was really sad to see her go. We had experienced a trip of a lifetime together and now it was over. The best thing about it is that she should be nearly home by now and into the arms of her family who can look after her and doctors that will be able to fix her without a language barrier.

That afternoon I spent in the hotel room basically feeling sorry for myself. yes I know im in Barcelona and yes it is a beautiful sunny day outside but I have to spend the next two weeks alone and I will have to deal with that everyday so while I had a nice hotel room to myself I sad in bed, watched tv and had a bit of a cry. That night I ventured from the hotel and caught up with some friends from my bus so the day wasnt a complete waste. It was actually good to get some fresh air and be out in the city and while I was walking to our meeting spot I did kind of kick myself for wasting the arvo but then again since I did not get to see much of Barcelona and I wont see much of Madrid I will definately be back. We had a few drinks at one bar before wandering to another one. I had a couple of much needed beers and even a mojito. The night was spent chatting and eating tapas and it was nice to be with people. The best part is that they are going to be in the same place as me in about a weeks time so I definately wont be loner in San Sebastian.

I think that having gone on a Topdeck tour by myself I am not as scared about being by myself and once im back in a hostel and back on the bus I will be able to meet people who are heading in the same direction which is good. I am still freaking out though. The best part is that its only a couple of weeks. 13 nights, 12 whole days that until im back in London and staying with family. 3 of those days are bus days, 5 are on a tour for the running of the bulls and the rest I will find something to do and some group to tag along with. The biggest challange will be getting from San Sebastian to Pamplona but Im sure I wont be the only tourist around the area trying to do the same thing. As a friend said to me this is all a part of the journey and it will give me time to "grow" and "find myself" and she is pretty much right.

Im not sure when I will be blogging again as I dont have access to free wifi anymore and the camping at pamplona may drop me off the radar a little bit. So we all know that will be a massive post (arent they all?) but hopefully lots of stories to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment