Monday, October 24, 2011

Amongst It

A few posts ago I told you guys about Holes and Poles my Try Tag Rugby team. Well once we started a new season we changed our name to Amongst It as that term was commonly used in our group to describe... well pretty much anything. We played a second season over at Canada Water under our new alias and we did pretty well. Nothing to great but also nothing too bad and we were happy around the middle of the ladder.

Once it came to Autumn we had to change pitches and we moved onto astro turf (due to it being floodlit) over at Borough. I'm not sure if it was because we finally came together after three seasons of playing or if the shorter field meant it was slightly easier for us girls to keep up with the boys but we went from average - to awesome. I know this is going to sound slightly braggy but we really were! Our first three games we won 15 -6, 17 - 5 and 22 - 7. With only one loss under our belt (12-11...guts!) we went into the grand final feeling pretty nervous. We were playing the only team that had ever beaten us and it was going to be a close game.

When I say 'we' in all this I actually mean my team mates. Due to my knee injury in Croatia I wasn't able to play for the rest of the season. Emily kindly stepped in to take my place and I had to watch from the sidelines - which was complete torture! I missed playing so much that sometimes I couldn't even go and watch because it was so frustrating. However there was no way I was missing the final and so I and about 7 other supporters stood on the sideline to watch Amongst It play.

It was a close game with Amongst It only being one point up at most times, there was even a moment when we were drawing. It was a pretty intense game and there was lots of pressure and close calls which had those of us on the sidelines biting our nails. Thankfully towards the end Ness scored two girl tries (they are worth two points) to give us a comfortable lead for the last few minutes of the game. In the end Amongst it won 13-9 and we were relieved and happy with the result. The last two tries earned Ness joint man of the match with Rob who was tough in defense so not only was it a win for the team but an extra win for two of our team mates!







From there it was onto the pub for the presentation and some well earned beers. It was sad to see the tag season end for Amongst It for the year as we weren't entering the next season. There were a few injuries, someone leaving London, three people on long holidays so it didn't seem worth it. Hopefully we can enter into late winter/early spring and we can hopefully dominate that new field. Sadly I think I am in tag retirement due to my knee which brings a disappointing end to my tag career. I think I was finally starting to learn the rules too!

No comments:

Post a Comment