Sunday, August 7, 2011

London Top 100

A little while ago my friend Shea stumbled across a little book by Time Out that features the 'London Top 100'. I was thinking I would have done a fair chunk of them but after having a quick browse through Shea's copy I realised there was so much I didn't know about and so much I haven't done. So I went out and picked myself up a copy and a few days ago I was able to tick a couple of the things off!

Lauren who is new to London and I decided to tick off something on the top of my London wishlist and went to the Natural History Museum (#83). One of the main reasons I wanted to visit was because my housemates Sam and Lance had told me that the exhibit that was currently on was not one to miss. They had an exhibition on Sexual Nature that featured all the interesting ways that difference species reproduce. I can now say that I have learnt a few interesting things about a few different animals - some of which I am sort of wishing I didn't know.






We also checked out the dinosaurs exhibit which was pretty cool but really busy so you couldn't see much without getting jostled by other tourists and lots of kids. I thought museums would be a nice quiet Saturday but I was so wrong. And after a few hours was so over it so me and Lauren wandered through South Kensington and grabbed a bite to eat a local cafe. After that I decided to find the Hummingbird Bakery to give Lauren her first taste of their yummy cupcakes. We grabbed one before walking down to Hyde Park. As we got there we passed a red phone booth so we stopped to get Lauren her token London photo.




As Lauren had never really seen Hyde Park (#53) either but it was getting late in the day we decided to hire Barclays Bike (#28)and ride on through. Even though I had done this before it was still good to put a big tick next to it in the book. The only downside of our little trip around the park was that they were holding a triathlon there at the same time so instead of riding on the bike paths we had to make our way around the park on the grass. Still fun though! We rode all the way through and down to Green Park and we docked our bikes and wandered down to Buckingham Palace (#89)so Lauren could have a quick look around. It was really great to show someone who hadn't seen much of London around while also being able to tick a couple of things off the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment