Sunday, January 30, 2011

'Straya Day

For the first time since I have been away Australia Day was the first time I have been truly homesick. To the point where I considered packing my bags and booking a flight. Other important days like Christmas and New Year were never going to be the same because I always had something on but Australia Day is a day that can't be replaced or replicated. To me Australia Day should be spent at a friends bbq or at the beach drinking beer, eating heaps of food, swimming and listening to the triple j's hottest one hundred. When your overseas and its winter there isn't really much you can do about bbq's or swimming but I did my best for the food side of things and made the girls from work some lamingtons. When I say made I mean dipped pre cooked muffins in chocolate and cover with coconut. It did the job and they got the idea!

We heard that an antipoden bar not too far away were having an Australia Day party where there was a free sausage sizzle, 3 pound mojitos and a replay of the hottest 100 which seemed like a pretty good compromise. I rounded up a crew of both Aussies and Kiwis and we all met there after work and got straight into the mojitos. A few months ago my Mum had sent over a packet of stick on Australian tattoos so we grabbed some ice from our drinks and started putting them on. Which wasn't the most hygienic option but it did the job.



The night basically got out of control way to quickly. The mojitos were toxic and the place was chockers full of other antipodens celebrating away from home. The hottest 100 finished and I was pretty chuffed to find that my true love's Angus and Julia Stone took it out. After that was done the DJ took over and started playing the classic's such as 'Land Downunder' and we spent the rest of the night dancing away. The end of the night took a pretty dodgy turn when I realised I had lost my winter coat. I think someone must have picked it up by mistake but was pretty gutted as that was really my only winter coat. The positive side of things was that we had found an oven glove with the Aussie flag on it. So even though I was chilly I had at least one warm arm. On the way home I packed a sad because I lost my jacket so when we got home my housemates made vegemite and cheese on toast with our new oven glove.



The next day I was even more homesick and really gutted that I had lost my jacket. I had also managed to break my laptop somehow so my blogs will probably be few and far between these few posts because I have to wait until my lovely housemates are finished using theirs so I can steal their puter. Fingers crossed it can be fixed! Overall it was a fun night out and it was worth it even with the casulties that followed. But one thing for sure - I still call Australia home and I can't wait for my next bbq with mates on Australia day.

No comments:

Post a Comment