Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside

This weekend just gone we had another beautiful downfall of snow! I was out and about working at the cafe when it started pelting? bucketing? pouring? (what is the correct adjective for a massive fall of snow?)and within minutes the city had been covered in a blanket of white. Unfortuneately I didn't get the chance to go and play because I had to be boring and work. So while my housemates were out sledding I was carrying coffees and whinging like a three year old to anyone who would listen that ' I WANNA GO PLAY IN THE SNOW!!!!'

The only downside of snow is that the whole city shuts down. Trains stop running because of frozen tracks, flights get cancelled because there is snow on the runway and basically the rest of the transport is ridiculously delayed. This basically meant that instead of heading out for cocktails with my work girls I went straight home, got into my jarmies and hung out with my house mates and watched a movie. Pretty good way to spend an evening anyways!!

I had the next day off so I was pretty excited by my schedule for the day - go play in the snow and make a snowman. That is literally all I had to do in my to do list. It was also our flat Christmas so we had to pick up some groceries as we were having a roast! We head of into the snow at around 10.30 and went the really really long way around to the shops. I didn't really mind because it meant we got to walk through Wimbledon Common which is near my house and have a bit of a play in the snow. We threw a few snowballs, checked out some of the pretty trees, Siobhan even tried to walk on a frozen lake and I attempted to make a snow angel. After about an hour we were getting pretty tired and pretty frozen so we grabbed a coffee before collecting our groceries. Instead of doing the massive trek home we hopped on the tube and headed back home to pop on the roast and relax with some wine (everyone else with mulled me just normal).








To go with the theme of the day we put on 'The Holiday' which is a christmassy movie and basically just bummed around and drank and nibbled while we watched a movie. After a little while we decided that it was time to make a snowman so we all ran out to the back yard and started collecting the snow. Its actually hard to make a snowman! I dead-set thought it would be super easy to make a big tall one but after about half an hour were were running out of snow and running out of energy. Its also hard to make them nice and round. Ours was sort of triangular and lopsided even though Sam used her 'smootheriser' to smooth it out. The 'smootheriser' was actually a ping pond paddle with disney characters on it and she spent a good few minutes wacking the crap out of our snowman. Once we had decided he was tall enough (a.k.a when we were sick of playing in the snow) we got out the coal for his eyes, carrots for his nose and 2 pence pieces for his mouth. Lance lent him his scarf and beanie and with a few sticks for arm Frosty the snowman was born.





A little while later it was time for dinner and we sat down to an amazing roast cooked by Siobhan. Roast pork with roasted vegies, cheese sauce on our brocolli and cauliflower, gravy and potatos, crackling and all the trimmings. It was soooooo yummy and the perfect way to end a winters day. The roast was followed by self saucing pudding and ice cream. It was amazing. For our flat christmas we also had organised a secret santa and so we all swapped pressies and I was happy to find a packet of mint slices and a head massager. The mint slices were a hit and really didn't last long. Jules (who was my secret santa) must have heard me go on about how much I missed them from home and I was so chuffed she had made the effort to get them. I am really lucky to have such fun, cool and thoughtful house mates. They definitely make it easier to be away from home at such a family orientated time and its so lovely to know that I have my own Pulborough Whanau (thats kiwi for family).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey gorgeous, photos are AMAZING, i am so jealous..
the word you're looking for is DUMPING! it was dumping snow. haha sounds a little strange to start with but you get used to it.
some people say puking but i think that's way worse. bring on the dump!

Post a Comment