Monday, October 18, 2010

The Park Tavern

Since moving into Pulborough Road and under the guidance of my house mates I have had a few good afternoons discovering the local pub. The Park Tavern is about a 10 minute walk down the road and is a typical English pub but less dodgy then the other couple around the area. It has a beer garden out the back with a fire pit for those summer days and nights but inside it has a cosy wooden interior for snuggling in winter. It has two lovely big fire places that have big comfy leather chairs next to it and I can't already imagine myself there in winter with a plate of bangers and mash and a glass of red wine thawing out beside the fire.



We headed down one Sunday afternoon with a roast and a drink in mind but unluckily for us the roast had finished for the day. Not to be deterred we still grabbed a meal and sat down with a glass of wine and settled in for the afternoon. I was really chuffed to find that the pub had a book shelf filled with books and a shelf full of board games so there was plenty of things to do while I work on my alcoholism. We picked up Trivial Pursuit and passed the time answering a few questions without the effort of playing properly.

While we were down there we also discovered that the following weekend the Tav was hosting a free hog roast and all we had to do was book in. All week I had been looking forward to the Hog Roast and I wasn't disappointed when Saturday finally came around. We arrived down there at about 4pmm met Lance's sister and her house mates and grabbed a couple of drinks and a table and chatted with while we waited to be served. Once we got our tickets we ran up to the line to discover a pig on a spit out in the beer garden. We were then given a big bread roll with a few chucks of delicious meat and mayor or apple sauce. On the side we got a couple of bits of blacked crackling and new potatoes with mayonnaise. It was definitely the best (and only) free pub meal I have ever been given. Considering you didn't even have to buy a drink (but lets face it who isn't going to devour this amazing food without a cider or wine?) it was the best deal ever. Pat on the back for whosoever bright idea it was because it is a great way to get the punters in. Luckily for us we found out it is happening every weekend in October and November. Hopefully I will get a chance to go back down and grab a couple more free meals over the next few weeks.

I believe that the afternoon of board games and a free hog roast is the beginning of a beautiful friendship between me and The Park Tavern. While I hope to explore heaps more of London and its endless pubs I can say that the Tav will definitely be a place I frequent. Turns out they have a quiz night on Wednesdays and cheap burger Tuesdays so hopefully over the next few months I can give those a go and get to know the place even better. I also plan to be a bit of a tourist and score a couple of happy snaps of the place so keep an eye out! But for now check out their website if you want to take a gander at my new local.

http://www.park-tavern.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment