Sunday, October 3, 2010

Great View, Great Food, Great Booze and Great Crew

After a massive weekend at Oktoberfest and a week struggling to keep my eyes open at work I was looking forward to a lazy weekend with a long over due sleep in. As many of my mates were out of town visiting Cornwall or visiting family I was slightly worried I would be bored but it turns out I had a fantastic weekend.

Friday night was spent having a couple of drinks with the girls from work before heading home and being greeted as I walked in the door by my house mates to a home cooked meal of Cannelloni and glass of wine. It was a perfect way to relax into the weekend. When I woke up the next day (more specifically the next afternoon after a massive sleep in) the sun was shining and it was a clear day so we decided to make the most of it and get the train out to the Richmond to have a picnic by the river.

With a quick stop at Tesco's to stock up on nibblies and a carton of cider we made our way along the river and found the perfect grassy spot on a hill over looking the river. Luckily for us we had good viewing as there was a charity boat race on that day so we got to see all the boats coming along the river in their dress up outfits and themed boats. It was also a great spot for people watching as there were heaps of people out to see the boat race.





The hill we were on was also a favourite for little kids to run down screaming so after about half an hour of watching kids stack it, it stopped being funny and started being annoying. I mean they were ruining the serenity!

Even with all the crazy kids running around it was still a great day. Sitting in the sun and eating baguettes with ham and cheese, dips, chippies and drinking lots of cider. After awhile it started getting a bit chilly so we packed up the picnic and headed into a cute little pub to warm up and top up our drinks.




We had planned to walk back long the river the way we came but as the tide had come up it had flooded the footpath which seems a bit like silly architecture but pretty funny all the same.

That night I headed over to my friend Amy's place for a few drinks in her new apartment before heading out down in Clapham for her friends birthday. I had only intended to have a drink or two as I was trying to save money and still recovering from the booze filled weekend. I should have known better. I ended up getting home at around 4am after many many drinks. Lesson for London - a night out is never only one drink.

On Sunday I had planned on heading into Regent Street as it was closed off to cars because it was London fashion week. They had fashion shows and market stalls and other demonstrations. I didn't manage to pull myself out of bed until 2pm so my plans of viewing high fashion were put on hold as I planted myself on the couch and not moving all afternoon. Spent in the company of Siobhan my house mate we watched TV and ate tea and bikkies while it rained outside. While I didn't really use my Sunday to explore the city I feel like I at least did something a little bit English. It was such a good way to spend the weekend and it made me pretty happy to have such great house mates. Its such a friendly and fun house and I think there will be many many good times ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment