Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Q&A

A little while ago my sister sent me an email full of questions about backpacking and my experiences. I thought I would share with you guys my answers. Also if you guys have any questions feel free to comment and I will answer them.


1. Where was the worse toilet?

Albania, we stopped off in a random little town on our way from Tirana (the capital) to Dubrovnik in Croatia and we had to use a squat toilet. They had a tap continuously running so you had to try and navigate your way around that while trying not to stack it. You also couldn't flush the toilet paper so they were really stinky. The owner of the cafe and his wife were having a very loud domestic in Albanian about whether we should be allowed to use the toilets without buying anything(there were about 10 of us) but there was no way I could last another two hours on the bus.


2. Of the countries you have visited which metro system was the hardest to work out?


Prague - but it was a tram system. I think most of the problem was that they were doing servicing works and the ones we jumped on kept terminating at a random construction site. One day we spent two hours on the trams trying to complete a 15 minute journey. It was one of those times that if you didn't laugh you would cry.

3. Has there been any embarrassing moments during your travels?


Um, I don't really get embarrassed that easily because most of the time I figure I'm a tourist and no one will ever see me again. Probably just the bad photos taken when I'm drunk or my drunk dancing.

4. Have you meet anyone that has really annoying habits that drove you mental?

I met a few people that annoy me but its just their general personality rather then habits.


5. After all your time spent on buses, do you like sitting up the front, down the back or in the middle? Is there a spot on the bus that you always gravitate too
?

I generally try and sit in the first half of the bus next to a window so I can sleep. The front is almost always less crowded because no one wants to be a dork and it always is a lot cooler and less stuffy then up the back.

6. What is the best beach you have visited during your travels?

I had the most fun at a beach in Dubrovnik where we had a swim in the cool water and sat and ate seafood while the sun set but it was a stone beach so it wasn't very comfy. In terms of best beach I would have to say San Sebastian but that's because it is pretty much my favourite place in the whole entire world.


7. Of all the 4000 photos you have taken, what are your top five?


Photobucket
Me in Amsterdam

Photobucket
My 2 Euro Sangria at the beginning of a very messy day in Pamplona


Photobucket
Me and Caroline in Monaco

Photobucket
Me and my topdeck crew on the best day of my whole entire life in Dubrovnik

Photobucket
My family at my cousins wedding in Ireland

8. Of all the places you have visited, where do you want to visit again first?

Croatia. Without even thinking about it. If I won lotto I would be on my way there in about half and hour. I would hire a boat, sail from Split to Dubrovnik. Hang out there for a few days in the old town then head to the capital, Zagreb, to check out a Croatian city.

9. Where were the worse and best beds?

Best bed was in Barcelona in the hotel room. Double bed to my own with clean good quality sheets in an air-conditioned room with black out curtains.

Worst bed was in Turkey where we stayed in a complete hovel of a hotel in Gallipoli.

10. Did you meet any smelly people?


Every time I used a metro it seemed that I stood next to the smelliest person on there. Although when we were in Amsterdam we were in a room with a guy that just stunk of pot the whole time and he was so stoned that he never left the room. Even when he did is bag stunk of pot so we had to put up with it. Although pretty much everywhere in Amsterdam smelt of pot.

11. In which country did you see the most sausage dogs?(We have a sausage dog at home for those readers who have never met the cutest dog in the world Harrison)

I saw the most sausage dogs in Germany, more specifically Munich. None were as cute as Harry as most of them were wire haired ones. I saw a Charlie (my old dog) clone in Munich and followed him for about 10 minutes until we found a Chester clone (Caroline's dog) then stalked him for a little bit too.


12. If you won a million dollars tomorrow and could live in any of the countries you have visited, where would you set up home?


France. I would set up home in Tours (which is where my cousin lived while she studied French)because it apparently has the purest fFench with no accent or affliction. Its also only eight hours away from San Sebastian where I would love to have my holiday home.

13. Which country has the best looking fellas?

Australia! hahaha. All the hotties I've met have been Aussies. Probably the Dutch come a close second though. They just know how to dress. And there is nothing hotter then a well groomed man who dresses well.

14. Of all the cuisine you have tasted, which dish did you wish you had the recipe for?

The Greek salads I ate at this little Taverna on the beach in Petreti. It was run by this little old Greek man called Dimitri (I think) and I swear I probably ate about seven tomatoes I had so much of it. I even ate the olives!


15. What is the weirdest question a foreigner has asked you about Australia?


Why is the British flag on your flag - is it because you speak English? (this was asked by an American)


16. What is the longest time you went without washing your clothes?


Two weeks. which is way too long. It was during Pamplona too which meant everything was sandy and full of sangria. Luckily we spent a day at the beach so I could wear my bikini bottoms as I had run out of undies. I have never been so feral in all my life.

17. Of the 120 days (or however long you have been travelling) how many days didn't you have an alcoholic drink?

Probably about ten to fifteen? shit. hahaha

18. Has there been any moments that you felt really scared?


I got a bit scared in the crowd during Pamplona because it was so claustrophobic. Got slightly lost when I was drunk in Barcelona and they reckon you shouldn't walk around by yourself at night time so I was starting to get a bit scared but found my hotel so it wasn't too bad. Apart from that not really. There are always people around me so its never too bad and I have been extremely lucky that none of the horror stories you hear about happened to me.

19. After four months in foreign countries how would you rate your map reading skills between 1 - 5? 1 being - I desperately need a GPS - 5 you never got lost.


3.5 - depending on the city. There have only been a few times that I have been lost. Caroline called me her personal GPS and apart from once in Amsterdam where we walked past the red light district twice. When I was really drunk in Pamplona and couldn't find the bus station. In Bordeaux when I missed the turn off because me and Nathan were chatting so much. Apart from these times I haven't really been too lost. Oh and the tram tour of Prague but that was completely different all together.


20. How many books have you taken from book exchanges? And what was the best read?


Five.
1. Little Alters Everywhere - Rebecca Wells
2. The Count Of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
3. The Book of Tomorrow - Cecilia Ahern
4. Leaving The World - Douglas Kennedy (This book SUCKED. It took me a whole week to get through. That is saying something considering this was the week I was on my own the most and I read quickly)
5. Time Travellers Wife - Audery Niffenegger (This one was the best one. I read it in about two days while I was having my lazy rainy days in Tours. I also lugged it back to London with me to have on my bookshelf permanently)

I also scabbed Confessions of A Shopoholic - Sophia Kinsella off a friend and bought Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen while I had a book exchange lull.

21. Worse hangover during your travels was experienced where?

This is a tough one. Prague was really bad. It followed a night of about 6 absinthe shots, 4 gin and tonics, two wines and several other drinks. I couldn't leave the hostel because I was throwing up so much and I still felt hung over the day after. I also was pretty hung over in Pamplona. They had a sangria party where they made 400 litres of the stuff. We then went out to watch the world cup quarter final and continued drinking. I mixed sangria and beer and spent about 12 hours straight drinking. The next day after three hours sleep I had to get straight on a bus and head into the town. Lets just say having a huge hang over with a cross of motion sickness does not go down well.

22. How many things have you lost during your travels? And did you find any treasure?


I've lost pretty much everything - jacket, hair straightener (although I think this was stolen), adapter, toiletries bag (not my make up thank god my other one), sunnies, torch, travel towel. Its all just stuff though. As long as I have the important stuff its just more of an inconvenience then anything else. I have also broken two handbags, a pair of sunnies (I'm now onto my third pair - that I actually scratched about 30 mins after I bought them), split a pair of pants and worn out a pair of shoes. I haven't found any treasures except for scoring a few good books in book exchanges.


23. Did you encounter any really rude people during your travels?


Everyday. I've learnt to mostly just shrug it off though. The Spanish were so loud and pushy so it was a bit annoying but that's just how they are. The French in Paris are really rude but in Bordeaux and Tours they were actually really nice. I've met a few people along the way that start paying out Aussies and our accents and while I can take it in good fun most of the time there were a few people that were just arrogant and rude about it.

24. How many new card games have you learnt?


Only one. Called 'presidents and arseholes' or 'scum' (depending who I play it with). Its pretty easy and most people have either heard about it or played it before. It gets interesting when you play it with two decks and I have spent a few hours passing time playing it. I've also played many rounds of kings which is always fun. Learnt a good drinking card game too which is quick and easy and gets the party started.

25. Did you have any wild debates with strangers during your travels? If so what was it about?

No wild debates. Just shared heaps of stories about travel experiences. What to see where, what to avoid, where not to stay, what to eat. Had a few arguments with a couple of people about the world cup which is strange because usually I'm not a fan of football but I found myself getting really passionate about the games. Especially as I was in Spain for fives games which they all won.

26. What is the kindest thing a stranger has done for you during your travels?

When Caroline was sick I had to check us out of the hostel and they were wondering why I was checking out two days early and I started to get upset. The check in guy sat me down and did all the paperwork, called me a cab, wrote down the address, carried my bag to the car and told me that if I ever needed help to call him and he would sort it out. It wasn't even in his job description and he was so genuine it was nice to meet someone like that.


27. How many people do you think you have meet during your trip?


A million. Not really. Well there were the 40 of us on Topdeck, I hung out with about 10 people during the running of the bulls, and with Busabout there is always someone new to meet. I've made six or so good friends from Busabout and have enjoyed days chatting to people and then going our separate ways never to meet again. I've even spent entire days or bus rides talking to people and never finding out their name. Its hard to say but its probably in the hundreds when you really think about it. Hopefully I can keep in contact with the few that I really liked and hook up with them in my travels one day.


28. If you could change anything about your trip what would it be?


I would be a millionaire. So I didn't always have to eat tomato crackers and could flash out and try snails in France. Or I could do all the tours I wanted to do. I could have sky dived in the Swiss Alps, gone to the chateaus and winery's in Tours, I could have done a Spanish cooking class in Barcelona, I could drink nice wine instead of cheap petrol tasting stuff. I know part of being a backpacker is being poor but sometimes you have to sacrifice some of the experience.

29. On reflection did you pack anything really stupid that you wish you had left behind?

No actually! I've been pretty chuffed that I've used or worn everything in my backpack. I'm kicking myself that I didn't bring my lappy or at least something that connects to WiFi. It would have been worth the extra weight and security measures to connect to all the free WiFi and have somewhere to store my stuff. In saying that I was lucky that Caroline had her Itouch so it wasn't too bad. Most of Spain had free internet access which helped because I was there for about two weeks.

30. Do you still call Australia home?

I always will call Australia home but I will never be satisfied. There is always some where else to discover, new countries to explore, new people to meet, new food to taste and always always something different to experience. I want to freeze my age at 23 because the older I get the less time I have to travel the world. I hate it when people say 'its always going to be there' That is fine but I'm not always going to be here. Ahhhhhhhhh so many places to see!!! so little time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment