Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Jubilee Celebrations

I've been lucky that my time in London has coincided with some amazing events surrounding the Royal Family. Firstly, last April when I stood in Hyde Park with thousands of other Londoners and watched Kate and Wills get married and more recently - the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations.

Treated to a 4 day weekend many Londoners took the extra time off to get out of the city and explore Europe but I stuck around to enjoy the atmosphere. The weekend kicked off with a blue, red and white themed bbq at my house where those of us who were still behind in London celebrated her Diamond Jubilee by drinking some Pimms and having a good old bbq. Unfortunately the rubbish weather dampened our celebrations and we retreated to a pub instead to continue the celebrations into the night.

The next day was a more formal affair with Katie, Emily and I attending an organised garden party in the city. Unfortunately as it rained and rained and rained and was extremely cold we didn't last long. While we were there we we sipped on english cocktails of elderflower and gin and treated ourselves to a british burger and victoria sponge cake. Once we couldn't take the rubbish weather anymore we retreated back to the pub where we watched the regatta from the tv.

I had the sunday to myself so I spent it wandering around the V&A museum and pottering around the house as Sundays generally do. I did make it home in time to sit and watch the Jubilee concert with a glass of wine. It was great fun to watch but I wish I was one of the many thousands of people who had lined the Mall to watch from the many big screens. Watching everyone there waving their flags and having fun made me determined to get amongst more of the celebrations so on the Monday Siobhan, Emily and I made our way out to St James park to watch the procession through the streets.

Rather then line the streets we made a picnic in St James's park in front of a big screen and toasted to Queen Lizzie once again with some champagne and flag waving. It was a great atmosphere and the perfect way to round up a weekend of celebrations. The more you get into it the funnier it is and I has made me a big fan of the Royal Family and the amazing life Queen Elizabeth has lived. Here's to many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment