Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Weekend Back

After such an amazing time in Oz it was a bit hard coming back to the cold grey drizzle of london and the 9-5 of work. Luckily for me I had some good friends to keep me company and some unseasonably sunny days.

I spent Saturday night with my friends eating at my favourite cheap Vietnamese restaurant with BYO wine. Our dinner then turned into a few drinks at a local bar and those few drinks ended up being a few jagerbombs and a long boogie on the dance floor. Was good to be out with my friends after being away for 3 weeks and fun discovering a new bar.




The next day however wasn't too fun as I was suffering a bit of a hangover. However since the weather was so good I was undeterred and Lauren and I set about our plans to go out to Greenwich. I had been to Greenwich with my family on previous trips to the UK and I remember loving it. This time was no different! We decided to travel there in style and caught the Thames Clipper down the river to checking out all the sights along the way. Once we docked we wandered up to the Greenwich market where we poked around looking at the food and otht displays. We wandered through some little lane and got caught up in a lolly shoo before deciding to make the trip up to The Royal Observatory.





The Royal Observatory is home to the Greenwich Mean Line that divides the globe. It is also home to a museum full of history about world time, astonromy and clocks. It was really interesting walking around and seeing how each was developed and how the observatory was used. The best part was getting to stand on the mean line and be on the edge of the world. After the observatory we wandered down to the Maritime Museum which is full of information about the high seas. Well it had a lot to do with sailing, beaches and the ocean anyway. By this stage we were a little Museum-ed out and decided to flag looking at old ships and grab some grub.





We wandered past lots of little pubs and cafes that all looked inviting but when we stumbled across the fish and chip shop that had been on that site since the 1770's we couldn't go past. We even found a Chippy that served potato scollops and as we ordered them were immediately identified by the owner as Aussies.

After devouring our delicious fish and chips we decided to get the DLR back home. Being a bit of a transport nerd I was excited for my first trip on the light railway (which is pretty similar to a monorail I guess). We wound our way back from Greenwich through the towers of the city before getting the good old tube home.

I was exhausted after all my catching up, partying and touristing but it was worth it to have such a good weekend back. It made me miss home a bit less and remind me of the amazing place I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment